Frequently Asked Questions

How can I find my lot number?

All lot numbers are located either in Classics or Isles maps (In the governing documents section)

What is a proxy, why do I need to sign one?

The HOA is governed by Oregon statute: ORS 94.655 it provides that, “Unless the declaration or bylaws of a homeowners association specify a greater percentage, a quorum for any meeting of the association consists of the number of persons who are entitled to cast 20 percent of the votes in a planned community.” There is not a specified different quorum requirement in our Bylaws, so the 20% of persons entitled to case a vote is the requirement.

20% of the 370 homes comes to 74 votes. Meeting attendance is incredibly low, sometimes only receiving 2-10 homeowners. The proxies allow us to meet the 74 person requirement without you needing to be in attendance. The proxies are limited to only represent a homeowner for the voting purpose of that meeting (typically annual elections) they expire once the quorum for that meeting is met or after 1 year. You may sign your proxy over to any homeowner or board member who you trust, they just need to be in attendance.


  • What do our dues pay for?
    1. Common property landscaping (map) wetlands, storm drainage ditches, backflow/sprinkler repair/maintenance in the Isles, yearly backflow testing in the classics.
    2. Bookkeeper
    3. Board legal counsel
    4. Administrative costs, ie: website maintenance, mailings, meeting space rentals, insurance, taxes
    5. Emergency or urgent repairs on common property (tree replanting following the city removal is one we expect to pay this year provided Covid hasn’t halted the project completely.)
  • When are dues paid?
    • Quarterly: January, April, July, and October
  • How can I pay my dues?
    • You can send a payment to: 388 Q Street Springfield, OR 97477 or send an email to to setup electronic payments.
  • What are the dues amounts?
    • The dues are currently: $92.42/quarter with no special assessments.


  • Where can I submit a complaint?
  • What can the HOA do about noise complaints?
    • The HOA follows city ordinance regarding noise complaints. We ask residents to submit complaints to the city: 541-682-5111
  • Where can I submit a complaint about an abandoned vehicle?
    • The HOA has no street jurisdiction, any cars illegally parked on the street need to be reported to non-emergency: 541-682-5111 or here.
Extra Information about the Complaint Process
  • If you have submitted a complaint and included a picture the board still needs to witness the violation in process. The reason why we need board volunteers to witness the complaint is to protect the board should the violator seek a hearing. Photos sent in aren’t date or time-stamped, some don’t show addresses or license plates, we don’t know if a vehicle was parked in that area for loading/unloading (15 minutes permitted,) or if the complaint was made in bad faith. It is a liability for the board to not double-check each complaint.
    The board is compromised of volunteers, our various schedules and responsibilities will not always allow for one of us to check a complaint immediately after it has been submitted. We try to check complaints within 24 hours or if we are told that it happens within a specific time-frame we will check during those hours.